What is a Shop Foreman and what do they do?
According to UTI's website, a Shop Foreman has the important role of being a front-line supervisor in the shop. They’re responsible for overseeing Service Technicians and ensuring work is completed effectively. While the foreman maintains the operations and manages employees in the shop, they still are a part of the repair team. This makes having knowledge and experience as a mechanic extremely important and useful. Simply put, they keep things running smoothly. For June, we want to spotlight one of our Shop Foreman, Jason Reed.
1. How long have you been with the company? I've been working for Pacific BMW since February 2011. Been working for the BMW brand since 2001. 3 years with a BMW Specialized Independent Repair Shop and 7 years with BMW of Monterey prior.
2. What does your job entail? I supervise the technicians. Assist with diagnostics and repairs when needed. Facilitate repairs on shop equipment and ensure technicians are operating in a safe manner. Road test with our customers to ensure the technicians have all the necessary information to avoid confusion and best diagnose and repair the customer's vehicle.
3. Who inspired you to pursue the career you have today? My mentor Paul Larson, Master Land Rover Technician and Independent Land Rover repair shop owner.
4. What’s the best advice you can give to someone who just started their career in the automotive industry? Keep learning. Be helpful. Be Respectful. Certify in your ASE's A1-A8. Have pride in your work.
5. What are the toughest challenges you’ve had at work? Working with BMW's Legal Counsel: performing depositions and being called into court proceedings as a witness (and/or expert witness) explaining our operations and processes to a jury.
6. When you are at work, how do you motivate yourself? Coffee !! Lots of Coffee!
7. In terms of successes, which accomplishments are you most proud of? Becoming ASE Master Certified, BMW Master Certified, Becoming a Shop Foreman. Celebrating my 20th Wedding Anniversary this coming August. My daughter graduated High School and has moved on to College.
8. Who are some of your biggest inspirations within the company? There have been many inspirations here at Pacific. Edgar Oganesyan's ability to diffuse heated situations to an amicable conversation has always been impressive to me and Art Grigorian has been guiding me since I became a Foreman. Without his encouragement and support, the transition would have been impossible.
9. How have you grown professionally while on our team? I became a BMW Certified Master in 2007, then Diagnostic Technician in 2011. I transitioned into Shop Foreman in 2014.
10. Tell me something about you that most people don’t know. Before I became a mechanic I worked in retail at a wedding boutique selling/renting suits and assistance with dress sales.